Ceramic Ball Bearings
Ceramic bearings offer a significant performance improvement from traditional steel ball bearings. The ceramic bearings that we offer are manufactured from silicon nitride (Si3N4), an exceptionally hard non-metallic material rated for speeds to 2 million dN, offering a wide selection of benefits. The difference between ceramic bearings and steel ball bearings is within the balls, which are made of silicon nitride, which is referred to as ceramic. Sometimes referred to as ceramic hybrid ball bearings, these bearings feature inner and outer rings made of steel. The specific density of the ceramic ball in these bearings is less than half of a steel ball, therefore reducing the centrifugal forces.
Ceramic Bearing Benefits
- High speed, faster acceleration comes from a material only 40% as dense as steel, yet strong enough to deliver 30-50% higher running speeds with reduced skidding and a lower volume of lubrication
- Greater accuracy is the result of balls with a 50% higher modulus of elasticity than steel. This greater rigidity means less of the deformation that leads to vibration and spindle deflection, thus increasing both component quality and productivity
- Reduced friction leads to a host of benefits: longer life, less lubrication, energy efficiency, reduced sound levels and less heat
- Non-conductive properties of a nonmetal like silicon nitride eliminate the pitting and fluting of raceways common in electric motor applications
- Corrosion resistance of silicon nitride makes it more effective than steel bearing balls in the presence of water or corrosive chemicals. Corrosion resistance can be enhanced when ceramic balls are combined with a dry film lubricant on the ring and retainer components
- Longer operating life ...5 to 10 times longer than standard metal bearings
- Less noise and vibration due to a lower coefficient of friction
Based on the performance of ceramic ball bearing over steel, ceramic bearings are used in many applications that require high speeds, accuracy and reduced friction and more. Common applications include machine tool spindles, aircraft instrumentation, micro turbines in the power generation industry, medical handpieces and more.
In addition to ceramic ball bearings, we offer bearings manufactured from all of today's most versatile and durable materials, including:
Quality bearings, fast
At IBSCO, we offer a large inventory of quality, ceramic bearings that we can ship faster than manufacturers themselves-- often within a week. We also offer inventory management services and JIT capabilities that help ensure our customers will never be waiting for the right high-performing ceramic bearings they need.
We also offer an unmatched commitment to quality. We are an ISO 9001:2008 certified supplier, and we maintain lot traceability for all ceramic bearings.
IBSCO: Ball bearing experts
Looking to put ceramic bearing advantages to work on a new or retrofit project? Make an IBSCO bearing specialist your first call. Our industry pros will help you find the right ceramic product for the application, choosing from a broad selection of in-stock and accessible components from the bearing industry's leading manufacturers.
Contact one of our sales representatives today
to inquire about a quote from Intercontinental Bearing Supply Company
or call us today at 800.231.6480.